You may have already substituted coconut oil for numerous items in the kitchen, but did you know you can also swap out some of your beauty products for the wonder oil? This do-it-all ingredient can be used to moisturize skin and remove makeup, but that’s just the beginning. Here are just some of the ways you can incorporate coconut oil into your beauty routine!
- Hair Mask: Coconut oil is a creamy solid at room temperature, and turns to liquid when heated to 76°F. While in the shower, melt your coconut oil by running the jar under the warm water. Then, after shampooing, apply a generous amount of the oil to wet strands and twist hair into a bun. Let it sit for at least five minutes before rinsing to add moisture and shine back into limp locks.
- Body Oil: As a solid, coconut oil’s creamy texture makes it the perfect light moisturizer to slather all over. Apply a quarter sized amount right after you get out of the shower so it can sink into your warm skin. The light tropical scent that lingers after it’s applied. Add in a few drops of peppermint or lavender oil for a massage mix.
- Chapped Lips: Chapped lips don’t stand a chance against ultra-hydrating coconut oil. Scoop some into a spare contact lens holder and throw it in your purse so you can dab it on with your finger throughout the day.
- Cuticle Softener: Get double duty from your new DIY coconut oil lip balm case and say goodbye to ragged cuticles. Using your finger, swipe a small amount of the oil onto each of your cuticles and allow it to sink in. The coconut oil will strengthen your nails and hydrate the delicate cuticle skin, making your hands look more youthful.
- Under-Eye Cream: The skin under your eyes is thin and delicate, making it prone to fine lines, puffiness, and dark circles. If you hate the idea of dropping big bucks on expensive eye cream, then sub in coconut oil. Just rub a pinch in between fingers to warm it up before patting it underneath your eyes.
- Frizz Fighter: Rub a pea size amount of coconut oil between your fingers to warm it up, and then apply it to the bottom couple inches of your hair for all day frizz protection. If you have thicker, coarser hair, apply the coconut oil from mid-shaft to ends for added frizz control. Bonus: It also leaves hair extra shiny and soft!
- Highlighter: Glowing, fresh skin is in! But if that doesn’t come naturally for you, just dab a little liquefied coconut oil onto the tops of your cheekbones, cupid’s bow (the dip above your upper lip) and just above eyebrows for hydrated skin that looks lit from within.
- Makeup Remover: Just a teaspoon (or less) can take off a day’s worth of makeup with ease, no matter the staying power. Massage a dollop of warmed, liquefied coconut oil straight onto skin and watch as makeup melts away, then rinse with warm water. To make your own coconut oil makeup remover wipes, melt 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per round cotton pad in a microwave-safe container. Then, lay the cotton pads in an even layer and let them soak up the oil overnight. Store them in the same container or in a plastic baggie and throw them in your carry-on or gym bag for easy makeup removal on the go.
- Body Scrub: Mix a 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with coffee grounds, sea salt and brown sugar to make a to-die-for body scrub. The scrub moisturizes while removing dead skin cells. The result: skin that’s baby soft. See our recipe here!
- Shaving Cream: Ran out of shaving cream? Coconut oil to the rescue! Just warm the jar under the water and smooth onto legs before shaving. Your razor will glide smoothly, allowing for a super-close shave, and your legs will be moisturized from the oil in the process. Tip: shave outside the shower. The oil is very slippery, so you’ll have an easier time holding onto your razor if your hands are dry.
Coconut oil is a truly magical food with numerous health benefits as well. More on the health benefits in a future article:
What’s your favorite way to use coconut oil? Share below in the comments!
10 Beauty Tricks With Coconut Oil was originally published on LOVESURF BLOG