Are you picking the proper fueling foods? Here are 10 essential items active women need in their pantries, refrigerators and freezers. These foods are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other nutrients to keep you fueled, full, and ready to take on the world!
2. Berries. A handful of frozen berries adds antioxidants and fiber to your morning smoothie or oatmeal. Blueberries are only 80 calories per cup, and they pack a powerful nutrition punch by supporting brain, eye and heart health.
3. Fish. Fatty fish are one of the best foods sources of essential omega-3 fatty acids and also provide vitamin D, a critical nutrient that many women lack (it works with calcium to preserve bone strength).
4. Flaxseed. Not a seafood fan? Flaxseeds are also rich in omega-3 fats, and they’re also filled with fiber. Mix a spoonful into oatmeal, Greek yogurt or smoothies to add flavor, texture and nutrition.
5. Quinoa. It contains all 9 essential amino acids as well as bone-boosting minerals like copper, phosphorous, iron and magnesium.
6. Greek yogurt. With twice as much protein as regular yogurt, the Greek version helps fight hunger. The beneficial probiotic bacteria in yogurt supports both digestive and immune health. Also, plain, fat-free Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream in dips, dressings and sauces.
7. Nuts. Stock single-serving bags of almonds in your desk, car or purse for protein, fiber and vitamin E (which is great for heart health) on-the-go.
8. Legumes. The fiber and protein in legumes, like beans and lentils, help you feel full and add satisfying texture to recipes.
9. Dark, leafy greens. They are packed with calcium, fiber, folic acid and antioxidants, like vitamin C, which supports a healthy complexion.
10. Eggs. The protein in eggs helps repair muscles that are damaged during tough workouts. Try a scramble with spinach to get two of the ten picks in one meal.